Unlike bungy jumping or sky diving, the adrenaline rush from shark cage diving comes from being face to face with one of the world’s greatest predators: the Great White Shark.
The experience puts you in their territory while the safety of the activity allows you to be an observer and learn what Great White Sharks are really like. An on board marine biologist will educate you about this amazing apex predator.
Shark cage diving is safe for children and elders and gives the whole family a wonderful opportunity to bond in a fun environment surrounded by experts and researchers.
After this once in a life time experience, you’ll find yourself buzzing with excitement and adrenaline. You will have had the opportunity to come up close and personal with one of the oceans most majestic and foreboding creatures.
COVID-19: WE HAVE YOU COVERED It is our duty of care to ensure your safety is a priority and respond to any concerns during these ever-changing times. Here are the precautions we are putting in place prior to your arrival.
All trips are weather and tide dependant and launch times may vary accordingly from those stated. Your launch time will be confirmed the day before. Please allow enough time for transport from Cape Town (3 hours) and Hermanus (1 hour) when travelling to Gansbaai. Please be aware that there are road works en route and waiting times are included in the above travelling times.
Here is a brief breakdown of what to expect once you arrive:
- Before the trip guests meet at THE GREAT WHITE HOUSE in Kleinbaai
- You will receive breakfast or lunch and register your wetsuit size
- Guests receive a pre-trip safety briefing about what to expect during the trip and a biological background on great white sharks
- We then take a 200m stroll down to the harbour to board Slashfin (our boat)
- Travel time to Dyer Island is approximately 20 minutes, with the shallows being a short 10 minute ride (where we anchor depends on where the sharks are)
- On average, we anchor for 2 hours, but this depends on shark activity, conditions, as well as number of divers
- Weather permitting, we take a quick trip through the infamous Shark Alley
- Lastly, a debrief in the Great White House and a celebratory beverage to toast the occasion!
Good to know
- COVID-19: WE HAVE YOU COVERED
- The service is weather dependent. Contact must be made 24 hours before the time of the excursion to be informed about the local weather and sea conditions.
- Time slots are not confirmed times. Please ensure that you make the whole day available as we can only confirm times the day before, and is not negotiable.
- No age restriction
- Return transfer from Hermanus
- A Shark cage dive/viewing guided by a marine biologist
- A light meal (breakfast or lunch depending on time of trip)
- Refreshments on board
- Soup and bread on return
- Wetsuits & boots
- Life jackets
- Waterproof jacket
- A video link of your experience can be purchased in addition to the dive/viewing excursion (cost R200)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Anti Nausea medication (should seasickness be a concern- recommend that it is taken the night before and two hours prior to the trip)
- Swimming costume
- Warm clothing (it is cold on the water when the wind blows)
- Wind breaker
Looking for more of the best tours, activities and experiences?
This was an all around great experience! I just went shark cage diving with Marine Dynamics today (Sept 2, 2019) and I would recommend it to anyone! Everything went very smoothly from beginning to end. The staff were super friendly and they watched all of the passengers closely. They made sure we were safe and noticed when we needed help without us even having to ask. We saw three different kinds of sharks with one of them being a 12 foot great white...AMAZING! If shark cage diving is on your bucket list like it was on mine, do it with Marine Dynamics. You are in great hands with them.
We saw a great white shark yesterday! It was amazing!! Loved every minute of it. Staff is so professional and everything about the trip was comfortable and really an amazing experience 😁 highly recommended 👌
Did the Marine 5, it was fantastic! The service and friendliness of the staff is worth 5 stars as well as the marine life we encountered! Worth every minute!
Just wow. 5 ⭐️ 10/10. An epic experience from start to finish with a fantastic organised company and team.
+ Some of the other experiences we have had in SA are a bit rough around the edges and haphazard. But this was super slick and well organised! Such as unexpected elements of breakfast and lunch.
+ Informative, educational, well run, friendly, hands on making it a real worth while experience.
+ The team knew their stuff and having Toby on board was so brilliant. Everyone really went out of their way both on the boat and in the water. Doing their best to talk about the sharks and other wildlife.
+ With so many different passengers (some being sea sick - me included) they were really attentive making sure we were all looked after and talked to.
+ Insanely lucky to see Great Whites (albeit not super up close) but moreover to see Copper Sharks 🦈 flip out the water.
I’d highly recommend Marine Dynamics to anyone wanting a truly brilliant experience on the water. Go out with an open mind rather than any expectations and be prepared to have them go over and above!
One lifelong dream ticked!!! The crew were extremely knowledgeable and helpful and made the whole experience a joy from start to finish. They provided everything from wet suits, lifejackets (only worn to where we anchored) to cups of tea and snacks. They were incredibly lovely to those who were sea sick too which made everyone feel at ease. Having a marine biologist onboard was brilliant as if you weren't in the cage she was telling you facts about the sharks and what to look out for. Highly recommend them!!
Medium Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 48 hours before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 48 hours days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.